top of page

Plan Your Financial Recovery with a Consumer Proposal in St. John's and Throughout Newfoundland

A consumer proposal is intended as a process by which an individual may make an arrangement with their creditors to make some repayment of debts owed, rather than proceeding to a personal bankruptcy. While the trustee can provide you with the details for making a proposal, in order for it to be successful it must provide the creditors with a greater return than they would hope to receive if you were to proceed with a personal bankruptcy.

When considering making a consumer proposal in St. John’s or anywhere in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, it is necessary to have a steady income or third parties (parent, friend, etc) who will provide you with the funds necessary to settle your debts. The amount of money required for this process will depend on your personal situation and the amount owed. The trustee will discuss these and other relevant factors specific to your situation.

The majority of individuals are entitled to file a consumer proposal, as long as the amount you owe is less than $250,000 (excluding the amount owed on a property mortgage).

What do I need for a Consumer Proposal in Newfoundland and Labrador?

You might be eligible for a consumer proposal if you meet the following:

  • You have debts of more than $5,000 but less than $250,000 (not including your home mortgage).

  • You have a job and can afford to make monthly payments.

  • You cannot afford to repay everyone in full.

  • You want to avoid bankruptcy.

What Happens in a Consumer Proposal?

When a consumer proposal is accepted, several things happen:

  • Wage garnishments cease.

  • Interest stops accumulating from the filing date.

  • Collection companies must stop contacting you.

  • Your assets are protected (there are some exceptions – contact our Licensed Insolvency Trustee to discuss this).

  • You only repay a portion of your debt within a maximum period of 5 years. 

A consumer proposal does have various administrative and filing fees. To learn more about our fees please give us a call.

check our faq
bottom of page